Monday, 21 January 2013

Dead NURTW boss latest: UCH resident doctors begin 3-days protest strike

The Association of Resident Doctors, University College Hospital, Ibadan on today declared a three-day-strike to protest assault on two of their members by some aggrieved members of the National Union of Road Transport Workers in Oyo State last Saturday. 

The transport union members reportedly went wild on Saturday while waiting to receive the body of the late deputy Chairman, NURTW in the state, Alhaji Kamorudeen Beyioku, who was shot earlier in the week by some unknown gunmen. 

The President, ARD, UCH, Dr. Tunde Babasanya, during a press briefing on said that his members had resolved to embark on a three-day strike to register their protest against the inhuman treatment experienced by resident doctors in the teaching hospital. 

While lamenting that the victimisation of their members is becoming a norm, Dr Babasanya reported that Last year, a doctor was attacked with gun at the Accident and Emergency Unit, while a female doctor was dragged on the floor with her hair while another doctor was reportedly beaten up at the Children Emergency Unit of UCH.

Meanwhile, the hospital management has disagreed with the decision of the union to embark on strike. 

The Chief Medical Director, UCH, Prof. Temitope Alonge, while addressing reporters declared the strike as illegal

He revealed that the deceased NURTW leader was shot in his upper tommy and abdominal cavity. 

According to him, the doctors successfully removed the bullets in the abdominal cavity and was responding well until it was discovered that Beyioku had renal impairment

Professor Alonge said that Beyioku was to receive second dialysis when he had cardiac arrest and passed away

"We managed an important personality who had a gunshot injury in his upper tummy. We removed bullets in his abdominal cavity and he was responding well until we discovered that he had renal impairment. He had the first dialysis and while he was about to receive the second one he had cardiac arrest and passed away. 

"It was between the process of autopsy and the release of his remains for burial that a medical officer was assaulted. While we are not in support of this we are also not in support of the strike. Strike is not the solution. When there is dispute, the proper thing is to report to the authorities. But there was no formal report in this case." 

The Consultant Forensic Pathologist, UCH, Dr. Uwom Eze, said, it was difficult for the Doctors on saturday from  the transport union members who were agitated.

He called on the resident doctors to dialogue about their welfare rather than proceeding on strike

No comments:

Post a Comment